Monday, February 8, 2010

This week's favorite kitchen tool

Today I'm going to introduce you to my new favorite kitchen tool. It is entirely possible that you have never heard of nor seen one of these before, or that you think I'm just making this up (ha faked you out!).

But this thing really exists, a fact made more clear by my misuse of said tool that resulted in me having to wear a bandaid for about a week. I do these things to teach by example...

So today, you should get excited about a Mandoline! After reading a recipe that called for the use of one, I obtained mine from Crate and Barrel for a measly $19.95 (Find it here!), and immediately decided this was a nifty instrument despite the potential for chopping off a digit or two.

This thing is perfect for making thin, uniform slices of vegetables, fruits, etc. It's definitely not an essential tool, and you have to be really careful when you are using it, but it is fun and makes me feel totally professional :)

1 comment:

  1. of course i know what a mandolin is! i watch top chef and the food network like its my job.

    ReplyDelete